Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It Looked Like a Classic To Me

It was a weak moment. I had been driving by it for several weeks on my way to Elkhart (Indiana) and barely slowed down. Then one day I stopped.
Assuming the price was out of my range, I walked up to the trailer and knocked on the flimsy door.
“How much for the old Buick?” I asked.


“I’m asking $400 and it’s in running condition,” he said. “You won’t find another one like it. Not much else I can tell you about it.”

His hard sell tactic worked and I bought myself a faded green 1953 Buick Special.

Let me insert a little background information here. I had owned a 1957 Chevy through college in the late 1970’s and wanted to relive that fun ten years later with this old Buick. It was one of several miscalculations I made in purchasing the roadside dream.

A 1953 Buick 4-door sedan weighs 4,315 pounds and is a 17.5’ long. Once it rumbled up to 55 mph the only thing that could stop it would be a 53 Cadillac or a train.

If the car seemed a little rough during the test drive, I failed to notice. After all it was a classic, a collectable. I might even drive it in the Mishawaka Fourth of July Parade someday.

I stopped for gas along the way home and was disappointed when the car wouldn’t restart. I called the previous owner who offered little sympathy and muttered something about flooding the engine.
I opened the hood and stared blankly at the engine. It was an inline or straight 8 engine that was massive by today’s standards. I pulled off the peculiar air filter and promptly spilled motor oil on the engine. It was my first experience with an oil bath air filter.

The car eventually started and I drove the behemoth home to show my wife. She was more bewildered than angry and I later agreed that calling her before buying the car may have been a good idea.

Over the next two weeks I came to realize that owning a 1953 Buick Special was not a good idea either. It smelled badly of motor oil that had been spilled on the old carpet. The exhaust system was exhausted and the brakes were shot. The car had great curb appeal – it just drove like a tank.
I swallowed my pride and parked the car out front on our country road. A few days later a gentleman and his son rolled away with a $300 bargain.

The lesson in all of this is that one man’s dream car may be another man’s nightmare. Leave the classic car restoration to the experts or at least to the guys with lots of tools in their garage.
Speaking of classic cars, the Foundation for Allen Schools hosts Allen’s fourth annual Customs and Classic Car Show this Saturday at the Village of Allen Shopping Center outside Dick’s Sporting Goods store.

The show, which is free to the public, is a drive-in event for custom and classic car owners who compete in numerous categories including a People’s Choice Award. Bring the family and cruise the car show on May 21 from 10 am – 2 pm (weather permitting).

No comments: